19 March 2014

A Pint Sized Sleeping Bag for Peanut


Samantha continues to be absolutely crazy about playing with her doll Peanut.  Last year I made Peanut a baby carrier, as well as an assortment of dresses and nappies.



This time Peanut needed somewhere to sleep.  Recently I've seen quite a few posts showing dolly sleeping bags, and I thought they looked really cute.  I hunted around for a nice simple tutorial, and couldn't find exactly what I wanted.  In the end I just had a go at coming up with a pattern myself.


Incase you are wondering about the clashing fabric combination, Samantha chose the fabrics herself.  Olivia thought the dark purple trim was just what it needed for the finished look.




Some of the things I learnt along the way were:
  • write down your measurements for each piece of fabric and cut them right the first time.  I was having one of those days where I kept cutting pieces too short and having to join fabric.
  • pin and check before your sew your fabric to the zip, otherwise you might end up with the zip on the wrong side of the sleeping bag.  The zip was supposed to be on the other side, but I couldn't be bothered unpicking it and start again.
  • buy a zip at least as long as the side of your sleeping bag.  If you don't, you end up with a  gap between the front and back at the bottom of the zip.  Which is why there is this little patch sewn on:

  • use wider binding to hold all those layers of fabric and wadding together, otherwise you end up having to hand sew one side of the binding.  It also means that any overlocking or other joining stitches are properly covered.

If anyone out there is genuinely interested in me posting a proper tutorial of how I made this, please leave a message.  I've got to make another one for my niece, and I can properly document the process for you to follow.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Katie, Yours is the first pattern I've seen that looks like a proper sleeping bag. I would love to have your pattern if possible. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. I'm glad you like the sleeping bag. I'm working on a new bag this week, and photographing the steps as I go. I tried writing an explanation, but it was a bit confusing trying to explain how the zip is inserted. If you keep an eye out, I should have a post up within the next week.

      Delete
    2. The tutorial is now posted Good luck making your own. I'd love to see how it works out.

      Delete